A Black woman sits at a desk, typing on a calculator.

Financing Your Education

The UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education Student Services office can work with you to identify available financial assistance options. Our offices are open and can be reached via phone and email Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We understand paying for your education can be a challenge, and we're here to help.

Students in courses and programs offered through Continuing and Professional Education may be eligible for a tax credit for educational expense, job training funds, alternative student loans (which do not require enrollment in a degree program), or other financial assistance. At this time, Continuing and Professional Education students are not eligible for financial aid based on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), sometimes referred to as Title IV funds, which have requirements Continuing and Professional Education programs currently do not meet.

Here are several options for reducing or managing the financial impact of furthering your education through Continuing and Professional Education.

Training Opportunities Through SETA/Sacramento Works

We offer limited scholarship funding through the Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (SETA)/Sacramento Works. 

Tax Credits for Educational Expenses

Through one of the several education tax credits you may be able to reduce your federal income tax, or receive a tax refund, based on the cost of your educational expenses or the interest paid on student loans. To learn more about the personal tax benefits for educational expenses visit www.irs.gov and search for "Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center" or use this link to the Internal Revenue Service website. You should consult the IRS or a tax consultant to verify the tax benefit appropriate to your situation.

Reporting Educational Expenses (Form 1098-T)

Each January, Continuing and Professional Education reports educational expenses (tuition and textbook fees) paid in the prior year for students participating in academic or vocational programs costing more than $1,000 in a calendar year. A student's Social Security Number (SSN) is the key to this reporting. To ensure that accurate and complete information is provided to the IRS, Continuing and Professional Education requests that students provide a SSN at the time of enrollment.

By January 31, students should receive a summary report on prior year educational expenses known as Form 1098-T. You may be able to go online to access and print your 1098T. To log in, enter the Site ID: 11556, User Name: Student ID that starts with X, Password: Last 4 digits of your SSN.

Once you log in to the website, you can access and print your 1098-T form by selecting “View/Print My 1098-T’ from the menu on the left side of your screen. If the data on the 1098-T does not agree with your personal records, or you do not receive a 1098-T, contact the Student Services office at (800) 752-0881 to request a review of your student expense data. Please direct questions about your tax credit eligibility or filing options to the IRS or your tax advisor.

Taxpayer advice by phone or online:

Contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. or online.