Program at a Glance
- Complete in 12 months
- 4 online courses
- Eligible for VA Benefits
Get Advanced Training to Enhance Your Public Health Career
The Public Health Certificate Program, developed in partnership with the UC Davis Department of Public Health Sciences, provides the foundational public health knowledge you need to advance in your career or gain the competitive advantage necessary to be accepted into a master’s in public health program. This online certificate program covers core topics in public health science, including biostatistics, epidemiology, social and behavioral sciences, and health services administration. You will gain theoretical knowledge of public health concepts around social determinants of health, as well as applicable skills for epidemiological investigations, navigating the US healthcare system and working with biostatistics to measure the burden of diseases, illnesses and injuries. This online certificate in public health is designed to help working professionals like medical and health services managers, health education specialists and community health workers develop or increase their expertise in the field. The graduate-level coursework of this program also serves as a post-baccalaureate for competitive MPH programs, and 12 of the 14 units may be applied toward the UC Davis Master’s in Public Health Program, a Council on Education for Public Health accredited program.
- Related article: CPE Offers New, Online Public Health Certificate Program
What You’ll Learn
Upon completion of this public health certificate online, you’ll be able to:
- Explain and describe basic epidemiologic concepts and approaches to epidemiologic research using examples from human medicine
- Understand theories and strategies of health behavior change at the individual, group, community and environmental levels
- Apply the transtheoretical model, social network theory and social marketing theory to solve common public health problems
- Explain the structure and function of public and private medical care
- Describe trends in medical spending, predictors of patient use, causes of death, managed care and costs of technology
- Apply evaluation methods and measures to public health interventions
- Employ statistical methodology to health care data
What You’ll Get
Our program offers:
- Graduate-level coursework that aligns with the UC Davis MPH program, ranked 22nd in the U.S.
- Online and primarily asynchronous format so working professionals can increase their skills while maintaining full-time employment
- Preparation for certification in public health with relevant coursework that fulfills the educational requirements to sit for the National Board of Public Health Examiner’s Certified in Public Health Exam
- If accepted, matriculation to the UC Davis MPH program with 12 transferable credits. For a list of all requirements, please visit the UC Davis Masters in Public Health admissions page.
- Courses taught by experienced faculty from the UC Davis Department of Public Health Sciences
- Strong networks in the public health world due to our unique geographic location near the California Department of Public Health, one of the largest and most innovative public health agencies in the United States, and our close proximity to local health departments, community clinics and other advocacy groups
- Unique networking opportunities with instructors and fellow students that can help advance your career
- Engaging, innovative online format that facilitates active learning and retention
Graduate education in Public Health can prepare you for various jobs, including Healthcare Administrator, Program Manager, Safety Specialist, Epidemiologist, or Researcher positions.
Across these 5 jobs in total, there were 18,388 new positions advertised nationwide in 2022, with a median annual salary of $74,112. In 2017, there were 9,447 positions, which means the number of jobs grew by 95% over a 5-year period.
Across these 5 jobs in total, there were 2,634 new positions advertised in California in 2022, with a median annual salary of $89,344. In 2017, there were 1,213 positions, which means the number of jobs grew by 117% over a 5-year period.
Data source: Lightcast™ (2022)
This program requires the successful completion of four courses for a total of 14 academic units. Course content is frequently revised to ensure that the program is up to date with the latest industry standards. For this reason, you must complete all the course requirements of your certificate with a "C" or better and within five years from the day you enroll in the first course. A certificate will not be awarded if the requirements are not completed and your application for candidacy is not received within this timeframe. Completion of the certificate does not guarantee acceptance into MPH programs. Please refer to the admission requirements for the program you are applying for.
Recommended Prerequisite: It is strongly recommended, though not required, that students have a bachelor’s degree and basic introductory level statistical knowledge prior to applying. Familiarity with SAS Programming is also recommended.
Courses can be taken in any order.
- Program cost: $9,996 or $2,499 per course
- A one-time, non-refundable registration fee of $125 must also be paid in order to receive your certificate.
- Discounts available: organizations enrolling three or more students, or individual students enrolling and paying for the full program at one time, are eligible for a 10% discount. Contact Student Services at (800) 752-0881 to request this discount.
Ready to advance your career? Pick the option that best suits your needs and your lifestyle:
- Apply to the certificate program. Completion of a brief questionnaire is required before enrolling in your first course.
In order to register for the certificate program, fill out a brief form and pay the $125 registration fee. Registering for the certificate program ensures that you have access to the most up-to-date information about the program and courses, as well as permission to request the Academic Certificate upon successful completion.
- Enroll in an individual course. Check out individual courses that are currently open for enrollment. Courses will be applied to the program if you later decide to complete the certificate program.
- Sign up for an information session. Learn more about the program by registering for a free info session. If an information session for this program is not currently open for enrollment, click on “notify me,” and we’ll contact you when then next one becomes available.
- Questions? We’re here to help.
- Contact our Enrollment Coach, Kristy Craig, if you would like to schedule an appointment. She can speak with you about our program, answer your questions and help ensure it’s the right fit for your goals. Schedule your 30-minute conversation with Kristy.
You can also email us or call (530) 757-8777.
- Access free career resources. Our students have free access to tools for career planning, resume writing, interview practice and more.