Program at a Glance
- Complete in as few as 36 months
- 14 courses
Learn How to Plan Like a Pro
Planning professionals come from a variety of backgrounds—social science, natural science, engineering and even the humanities, facilities and interior design. Regardless of your background, the UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education’s Land Use and Environmental Planning Certificate Program will give you the foundation you need to master the body of knowledge every planner should have. Through theory and practice, this program delivers—addressing practical aspects of planning in the context of larger issues, future implications of present decisions and processes for examining alternatives.
What You’ll Learn
Through comprehensive training from industry experts, you’ll:
- Broaden your conceptual framework in land use planning
- Develop ideas, strategies and skills for more effective job performance
- Learn to work more effectively within the increasingly complex regulatory and environmental context of planning
- Improve your ability to solve problems and work with a wide range of constituencies
What You’ll Get
Our program offers:
- UC-quality courses that are approved by UC Davis and count toward professional association credits through AICP and MCLE
- One-on-one interaction with veteran planning professionals from a variety of industries
- Unique networking opportunities with instructors and fellow students that can help advance your career
- Class projects and case studies that provide dynamic, real-world training in emerging best practices and new planning theory
- Practical planning knowledge and regulatory updates that can be applied immediately to your job
3-Year Certificate Agreement
Thinking about earning your Land Use and Environmental Planner Certificate? If you started the certificate by taking a core class after September 1, 2018, agree to complete the entire program in three years or less and we will cover the cost of your final course (up to a $675) and waive the $125 registration fee. Learn more.
This program is designed for professionals in disciplines associated with land use policy, analysis or development, including:
- Resource managers, administrators and analysts
- Environmental consultants
You must complete 20 units of required core coursework and eight elective courses with grades of "C" or better.
Other than the required courses listed below, all courses in the Planning and Sustainability area of study count as an elective towards the Land Use and Environmental Planning Certificate. If you have questions, please contact us.
Course content is frequently revised to ensure that the program is up-to-date with the latest industry standards. For this reason, you must complete all of the course requirements of your certificate within five years from the day you enroll in the first course. A certificate will not be awarded if the requirements are not completed and your application for candidacy is not received within this timeframe.
- At Your Own Pace: Take individual courses for a total cost of $7,250-$8,050, depending on when you enroll.
- A one-time, non-refundable registration fee of $125 must also be paid in order to receive your certificate.
- 3-year Accelerated Path: Agree to complete the entire program in three years or less and we will cover the cost of your final course (up to a $675) and waive the $125 registration fee. Learn more.
- Textbooks are not included in the tuition fee.
Here are your options:
Ready to enroll in the certificate program?
- Register. Fill out a brief certificate registration form. By doing so, you declare your intent to complete the program in 5 years or less, lock in program requirements and will be contacted by a program adviser who will work with you to map out your academic path.
- 3-year Accelerated Path. Fill out a brief form and you will be contacted by a program adviser who will work with you to map out your academic path. Agree to complete the program in three years or less, and the registration fee ($125) and cost of your last course will be waived (up to a $675 value).
- Please note: the 3-year accelerated path option is only available to new students. If you have taken one or more courses towards the Land Use and Environmental Planning Certificate Program, you will be required to cover the full cost of the program, and pay the $125 registration fee, in order to receive your certificate.
- If you have questions or would like to enroll in the 3-year accelerated path option, please contact us by email or call (530) 757-8777.
Not ready to commit yet?
- Enroll in an individual course. Check out individual courses that are currently open for enrollment. Courses will be applied to the program if you later decide to complete your certificate.
- Sign up for an information session. Learn more about the program by enrolling in a free information session. If an information session for this program is not currently open for enrollment, click on “notify me,” and we’ll contact you when the next one becomes available.
Questions? We’re here to help. If you’ve got a question, email us or call (530) 757-8777.
Access free career resources. Our students have free access to tools for career planning, resume writing, interview practice and more.